This is an introduction to the world of the coral reef; its ecology, biodiversity and conservation.
- Coral Reef Ecology and Conservation in a South Seas Paradise
- Snorkeling (Optional SCUBA Diving), and Discussion
- 3 nights in Hotels, 2 days on the reef
This program will introduce you to the world of the coral reef. You will hear about all aspect of the natural history of coral reefs and visit a variety of amazing reef-scapes. Moorea is the site that the US National Science Foundation has chosen to do long-term research on coral reefs, and it is the only island in the territory to have marine protected areas. It is meant for all age levels, and is perfect for family groups. We will visit the UC Berkeley Gump Research Station and we will see how cutting-edge research is done on coral reefs. This trip is planned using snorkeling for access to the coral reef. Accompanied by our experienced guides this is a great way for people of all aquatic capabilities to experience the underwater world. We can easily arrange supplementary SCUBA diving for anyone who wants to do this.
- We will meet you on your arrival on Moorea, and get you to your hotel. This day will be on your own. If there is time in the afternoon we will do a snorkeling check out with you.
- This morning we will head out to a beautiful beach and reef site on the East shore of Moorea. This site has a great variety of coral and fish, and is a great introduction to the diversity of this reef system. After lunch we will go to the UC Berkeley Gump Research Station and get a tour of the facilities and meet some of the researchers. Late afternoon will be time for some more snorkeling at a site on the north side of the island. B,L
- This morning we will go for a snorkel outside the barrier reef, in order to see the outer reef slope. Here the reef slopes down from the breakers on the reef crest into the deep blue, and we will have a chance to look at the form of the reef here and see some big fish. Then we will go look for spinner dolphins. These beautiful tropical dolphins come into the lagoons everyday to rest after hunting all night. They are easy to find and wonderful to watch. At noon we will land on a motu and have a picnic before exploring the inside of the reef crest and snorkeling again in one of Moorea’s marine reserves. Late afternoon we will visit a site where we can snorkel with stingrays and sharks. BL
Please contact us for pricing and more information on this expedition.